LibreOffice is an open-source software that functions the same as Microsoft Office. LibreOffice is open-source software from the development of the previous generation, OpenOffice, which was previously developed by Sun Microsystems / ORACLE. Now Libreoffice is developed by TDF (The Document Foundation).
LibreOffice Writer which is one of the software in the LibreOffice package that can save text files in the ODF (OpenDocument) file format. Overall, the features in LibreOffice are not much different from Microsoft Office. Anyone who is familiar with Microsoft Office will find it easy to learn how this Libreoffice program works.
Uses of LibreOffice
The main use of LibreOffice is as office document processing software. With LibreOffice we can create new document files, or edit existing documents. LibreOffice is a package consisting of several software namely Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math, and Base. The implementation is not much different from previous generation office document processing software such as Microsoft Office Word and WordPerfect.
It's just that the locations of the tools are slightly different. The following is a brief description of the document processing software included in the LibreOffice package
- Writer, is a word processing software. With Writer we can create text document files with file format support from Microsoft Office Word.
- Calc, table processing software, the worksheet is almost the same as the Microsoft Office Excel worksheet. Calc has a unique feature where it can define some graphical elements according to the information provided by the user.
- Impress, is a software for making presentations. It works almost the same way as Microsoft Office PowerPoint. With Impress users can export presentations as SWF (Shockwave Flash) files which can be opened with a computer with Adobe Flash installed.
- Draw, is a vector image processing software similar to Microsoft Visio. Draw provides a connector tool between shapes in a variety of line styles that allow for the creation of flow charts. Draw also has features similar to layout/publishing software such as those in Scribus and Microsoft Publisher .
- Math, designed to create and edit mathematical formulas. Formulas created in this software can also be included in documents in other software in the LibreOffice package.
- Base, is a database software RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) which is almost the same as Microsoft Access. Base can be used as a small database that is embedded / embedded and stored in document files using Java-based HSQLDB as the storage medium.
LibreOffice Download Link
Overall LibreOffice has met the criteria as an office software package with all its features which of course have its own advantages and disadvantages when compared to the more popular office software packages. The advantage of LibreOffice that Microsoft Office does not have is that this software is open-source based and is also available in a portable version. Download the latest and free LibreOffice via the link below: